A1 A2 A3 A4

Find a Regulator

This page provides you with contact details of the primary environmental regulators in the UK.

England and Wales

The Environment Agency is the principal regulator on environmental matters in England and Wales.

Contact Details:
Environment Agency
Rio House
Waterside Drive
Aztec West
BS32 4UD

Email: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

Tel No: 08708 506 506 (Mon-Fri, 8am - 6pm)

Northern Ireland

The Northen Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) is the principal environmental regulator in Northern Ireland.

List of contacts at the NIEA. (Click here)


SEPA is the principal environmental regulator for Scotland.

Contact details:
SEPA's Corporate Office
Erskine Court
Castle Business Park

Tel: 01786 457700

Fax: 01786 446885

SEPA's Pollution Hotline - 0800 80 70 60

SEPA's Floodline service - 0845 988 1188

Other Regulators

Local authorities regulate on a range of environmental matters including, Local Authority Air Pollution Control, Statutory Nuisances (e.g noise, odors and smells), Contaminated land, Land use planning and Tree preservation orders.

Search for the contact details of your local authority here.

Natural England is responsible for the administration of nature conservation in England. It also acts as the Government's advisor on the English natural environment.

Contact Details:
Head Office
Natural England, 1 East Parade, Sheffield, S1 2ET
Tel: 0114 241 8920
Fax: 0114 241 8921

General Inquiry Line: 0845 600 3078 (Local rate)

E:mail: enquiries@naturalengland.org.uk

SNH is responsible for the administration of nature conservation in Scotland. It also acts as the Scottish Government's advisor on the Scottish natural environment.

Contact Details:
Scottish Natural Heritage, Great Glen House, Leachkin Road, Inverness, IV3 8NW
Tel: 01463 725000
Fax: 01463 725067

E:mail: enquiries@snh.gov.uk

The Countryside Council for Wales is the agency responsible for the administration of nature conservation in Wales. It acts as the statutory adviser to the Government on the natural Environment in Wales.

Contact Details:
Enquiry Service
Countryside Council For Wales
Maes y Ffynnon
LL57 2DW

Telephone: 0845 1306 229

Fax: 01248 355782

The Health and Safety Executive regulates and protect people against risks to health or safety arising out of work activities. Joint regulator with the Environment Agency, SEPA and NIEA in the administration of the control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations 1999 and the Control of Major Accident Hazards (Amendment) Regulations 2005.

Contact Details:

Health and Safety Executive
Redgrave Court
Merton Road
L20 7HS

Email: hse.infoline@natbrit.com

Telephone: 0845 345 0055

Fax: 0845 408 9566

Minicom: 0845 408 9577

HSE Infoline: 0845 345 0055

The Drinking Water Inspectorate is responsible for regulating the quality of drinking water supplies within England and Wales.

Drinking Water Inspectorate,
Room M03, 55 Whitehall, London, SW1A 2EY

Telephone : 020 7270 3370

Facsimile : 020 7270 3177

E-mail: dwi.enquiries@defra.gsi.gov.uk

The Drinking Water Quality Regulator regulates drinking water quality in Scotland.

Contact Details:

Drinking Water Quality Regulator for Scotland
PO Box 23598

Email: regulator@dwqr.org.uk

The inspectorate regulates drinking water quality in Northern Ireland and is a unit of the EHS.

Contact Details:

Klondyke Building
Cromac Avenue
Gaworks Business Park
Lower Ormeau Road

Telephone: (028) 9056 9291

Fax: (028) 9056 9286

Email: dwi@doeni.gov.uk

Water companies have enforcement powers under the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Fittings Regulations 1999 to deal with waste and contamination arising from the installation and maintenance of plumbing systems, water fitting and other water using appliances.

Contact Details
You can get the contact details of your local water supplier from the local telephone book or from the Water UK website.

The Planning Inspectorate is responsible for processing of planning and enforcement appeals and holding inquiries into local development plans.

Contact details:

The Planning Inspectorate
Room 3/01 Kite Wing
Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay
Bristol BS1 6PN

Email: enquiries@planning-inspectorate.gsi.gov.uk

Tel: 0117 372 6372

Inquiries relating to appeals in Wales should be directed to:

Crown Buildings
Cathays Park
CF10 3NQ

Tel: 029 2082 3866.

Policy Making Bodies

Principal government department for policy on the environment.

Contact Details

Customer Contact Unit
Eastbury House
30 - 34 Albert Embankment

DEFRA Helpline: 08459 33 55 77

Email: helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk

Devolved Government for Wales. It has a legal duty to encourage biodiversity and to promote ways of conserving the Welsh environment. Operations of the Countryside Council for Wales are set within WAG's Scheme for Sustainable Development.

Contact Details:

Welsh Assembly Government
Cathays Park
CF10 3NQ

Phone: 0845 010 3300 (English) or 0845 010 4400 (Welsh)

International Enquiry Number (+44) 1443 845500

Email on website inquiries: webmaster@wales.gsi.gov.uk

Devolved Government for Scotland. Responsible for environmental policy making in Scotland in line with the UK framework for sustainable development.

Contact Details:

Telephone Enquiry Line: +44 (0)8457 741 741 or +44 (0)131 556 8400


Fax: +44 (0)1397 795 001

Minicom: +44 (0)131 244 1829 (service for the deaf)

Devolved Goverment for Northern Ireland along with the Northern Ireland assembly. The department responsible for environmental policy making in the Executive is the Department of the Environment.

Contact details:

Clarence Court,
10-18 Adelaide Street,
Belfast, BT2 8GB

Telephone: 028 9054 0540

UKELA is not responsible for the content of external internet sites